Cherry

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tee-Tee, Tee-Tee

In our household, the word for pacifier is "tee-tee". For the first year of her life, Brynley only used her tee-tee during naptime and bedtime. As she began to get more teeth, especially her canines, she started using it more and more. When it is bedtime, Brynley would look for her tee-tee in the living room...peering under couches and calling in a sing-song voice, "teeeeee-teeeee" as if calling a dog to come to you. It was very adorable.

So was this...the double tee-tee:


Then I looked through my Christmas photos and realized that nearly every photo I have of my precious girl on Christmas Day had a tee-tee in it. I was so disappointed that I hardly captured her precious face and sweet smile. I felt that Brynley was going to endure a lot of changes in 2011: a big girl bed, potty training, a new sibling, no more tee-tee so I figured we may as well get started.

So, on January 16th, we got rid of the tee-tee. I knew it would be tough, but I didn't know how tough. When she first wanted it, she called, "teeee-teeee" and I calmly told her "No more tee-tee. You are a big girl now". After a minute, she realized that I really wasn't going to give it to her and she began to cry...big tears rolling down her precious cheeks. And in a broken whisper, "tee-teeeeee!" Well, let's just say that I think I cried more than she did that day.

There are so many things that I didn't know about being a Mom until I became a Mom myself. One was how deeply you could actually love another human being. Another thing I learned is that when my child is hurting, I will do anything in the world to fix it. Not giving her the tee-tee when she was so upset about it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but I didn't give in. We are now 11 days tee-tee free!

Brynley, one day you will read this blog and I want you to know how proud I am of you and how I love you with all my heart!! I will always strive to do what is best for you even if it a tough road to take. You are my precious girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment